test
Equipping followers of Christ to engage in their everyday work as the work of God, so workplaces are invigorated, communities flourish and culture is renewed to the honor and glory of the Lord.

To Link To The Worldview Matters Main Website


Friday, August 28, 2009

The Hazards of Either-Or Thinking

The problem I experienced in my youth was that I separated the "work of God" from the "God of work."

What do I mean by that?

First let me clarify that the eternal destiny of a human soul is critically important, and cooperating with God in the re-birthing process of a human being is the greatest joy we can experience.

I thank God my Mother explained why Jesus died for me. She helped me walk through the amazing re-birth process, whereby I became part of the family of God, and received assurance that I would live with Him forever. I remember this monumental moment like it was yesterday.

But I reduced the Gospel to the “Gospel of Personal Salvation.”

In my view from the pew, I saw the “work of God” as only that which pertained to the after-life and the soul.

Why did I think this way?

Because I divorced the material world from the spiritual world. I divided time from eternity. I separated this world from that world, and failed to see that it is all God’s world.

Our God is not the God of either-or, but the God of both-and: both this world and the next. And He is the Supreme Ruler of both!

Either-or thinking can trouble (torment?) followers of Christ in a culture that divides this world from that world.


Josh Smith (thanks for commenting, Josh) experienced this when he asked his wife, "How do I serve God when I am so involved in making a living, being a father, husband, son, son-in-law...?"

The hazards of either-or thinking can cause a follower of Christ who works at Boeing to say,
“How do I serve God when I am so involved in building airplanes?”
 

But the fact is, we serve God by building airplanes!

Really?

To be continued…



Bookmark and Share

2 comments:

  1. Great stuff my brother.

    For several years I have been trying to find a way to talk about seeing all of life as caught up in one thing- not compartmentalized (e.g work, spiritual life, etc.) As a result I have begun talking about "sacramental living" - meaning that all life is worship or really we are failing Kingdom living.

    Recently I've been reading Willard's new book "Knowing Christ Today" and ran across this quote from Laubach's book that he attributes to Calixto Sanidad (a Philippino mystic). "I used to farm with my hand on the plow, my eyes on the furrow, but my mind on God." I think he understood.

    Curt

    ReplyDelete
  2. Chris: Great new blog. I run into this dichotomy all the time as I am now doing consulting work with Christian schools. It is expecially true at the board level when board members seem to diviorce God from the business side of running a Christian school.

    ReplyDelete